Sustainable mobility

The bicycle is gaining supporters.

Sustainable mobility

There are researches on the movements of short distance indicating that a huge proportion of them in car could be mde perfectly done by bicycle without a significant difference in travel time door to door.

Technical improvements have turned the bike a modern, comfortable and efficient vehicle. Apart from not polluting and being  silent, economical, discreet and accessible to all members of the family, the bike is especially faster than the car in urban paths walking distance (5 km, and even more, as traffic jams increase). In Europe, 30% of trips made ​​by car are less than 3 km distance and 50% less than 5 km . The potential of the bike is important, i.e. for everyday travel to work or school (40% of journeys are made on those grounds), or other types of displacement (the remaining 60% is due to shopping, services . leisure, social activities, etc).

Situation of Spain

This passion for the two wheels is also growing in Spain, where it is estimated that over three million people use bicycles to get to work. This public option has had its logical reflection on the policies of some cities, where local governments have decided to promote its use. However, there is still a long way ahead. In fact, in a recent study on the quality of cyclists roads of eleven Spanish cities, OCU reports little interest from many local authorities in opting to networks of cycle routes as a real public transport alternative, especially , private.

Sevilla gets the best results od this report. With 140 kilometers of cycling routes, it is the safest and best connected city for cycling. In fact, in 2013 it has been considered the fourth best city in the world to ride a bike. Zaragoza, San Sebastian, Vitoria, Barcelona and Valencia have also obtained good marks. At the other end, is Madrid, although it has the largest network (278 kilometers), is the one with the worst roads.